Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lentils A-La Kendra

January 5th, 2011
Today I made my third batch of....

Lentils A-la Kendra
Misguidedly this recipe is not by me, it's by John Paul


You will need: A crock-pot

Ingredients:
8 cups organic vegetable broth (I used organic vegetable bullion 4 cubs to make 8cups)
4 cups purified water
3 cups organic green lentils
1 organic yellow or white onion
3 sticks organic celery
3 organic carrots
2 cloves organic garlic
1 tsp kosher sea salt
1/2-1tsp pepper to taste
1 tsp organic Oregano
2 chopped tomatoes or 1 14oz can organic tomatoes
1TB red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp organic Thyme
3-4 bay leaves dependent on size

Combine all ingredients in a crock-pot and cock on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8hours.

I put this on in the morning, cook it all day on low, and John Paul and I eat for days! This is super protein for us, I also add multiple kinds of beans to add even more protein. And Braggs soy sauce seasoning for more flavor and supplemental amino acids.

Over the New Year's weekend John Paul's room-mates were majorly hung-over, they looked like they hadn't eaten in days  I didn't think they'd make it threw till morning. One of them was pale and I knew exactly what he needed, two-three bowls of soup and some water. Maybe even some bread. At first he turned me down but after the first bite he ate a whole bowl in a minute flat. Me and JP were laughing so hard because all they could talk about for thirty minutes was how rejuvenating the soup was, they were reciting poetry like, "Great literature from the 21st century.... and as time went by they ate more and more soup... and God know's they were almost out of lentils..." So funny and so nice to have quarts of soup on hand to feed a hungry veggie boy and his crazy room-mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment